Miami Personal Injury Attorney
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Local 305.371.3111

Protect Yourself from Florida’s Uninsured Drivers

Florida has one of the highest rates of uninsured drivers in the United States. Nearly a quarter of Florida drivers do not have car insurance. This means that when an uninsured driver causes a car accident, there is no coverage available for injured drivers or passengers to pursue in a personal injury lawsuit. The question is: what can you do to protect yourself? Florida drivers are not at the mercy of uninsured drivers, and you certainly do have a few options for protecting yourself.

Make Sure you Have State Required Insurance

The easiest way to protect yourself against an uninsured driver is to have your own policy with the state required Personal Injury Protection (PIP). PIP insurance is intended to cover 80 percent of your medical bills and expenses. The remaining 20 percent should be covered by the other driver’s insurances. However, this is not possible when the other party does not have insurance. This is where uninsured motorist policies can be helpful.

Have an Uninsured Motorist Policy

An uninsured motorist coverage, or UM coverage, is one of the best ways that you can protect yourself from uninsured drivers. You can buy a UM policy through your insurance coverage provider. UM insurance will compensate you for injuries caused by a negligent uninsured driver. However, it is important to note that UM coverage is not automatic. You must prove that you were injured due to the other driver’s negligence. If you are a passenger in an accident, you may still be able to qualify under a relative’s UM policy.

Have Underinsured Motorist Policy

If you are injured by negligent driver and that driver does not have enough insurance to compensate you for your losses, then you may still be able to use your UM policy for an underinsured motorist.

What type of How is UM Coverage offered?

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is offered at different coverage levels. However, like many types of insurance, it is limited person and per accident. For example, a $25,000/$50,000 policy would cover the UM policy cover for up to $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident for everyone involved in the accident. UM coverage is normally available at different levels:

  • $10,000/$20,000
  • $25,000/$50,000
  • $100,000/$300,000
  • $300,000/$500,000

Make sure that you select the insurance levels that make the most sense for you and your family so that you are covered if you have an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist.

Let an Attorney Help

Unfortunately, UM insurance will not cover all of your losses. You may need to seek additional compensation for your injury to help you cover noneconomic costs such as lost wages and unexpected medical costs. If you have been in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, please contact the Miami uninsured motorist attorneys at the law office of Alan Goldfarb, P.A. We can help you review your coverage options and determine whether you have UM insurance to cover losses from an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Call us today to schedule an appointment.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2014 - 2017 Alan Goldfarb, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.